Ulpan Scholarships are now available for European graduate students and early career scholars of Jewish Studies to undertake Hebrew language programmes in Israel during the Summer of 2019. These scholarships have been funded through the generous support of the Rothschild Foundation Hanadiv Europe.
Applicants can apply for study at any of the Summer Ulpan programmes offered by the following universities:
- Tel Aviv University International School (Summer Ulpan)
- Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rothberg International School (Jerusalem Ulpan, Summer Ulpan, and Scopus Ulpan)
- The University of Haifa (Hebrew Intensive Summer Programs)
- Ben Gurion University (Summer Ulpan)
Applicants may apply for up to 1500 GBP toward their tuition and housing costs and, in cases where housing is not required, the remainder of the grant may be used towards travel costs at the discretion and under the conditions of the World Union of Jewish Studies.
In order to be eligible to receive an Ulpan Scholarship from WUJS, applicants must be:
- EU citizens or citizens of another European non-EU member country (Albania, Armenia, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Gibraltar, Iceland, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Norway, Russia, Serbia, Switzerland, Turkey, and Ukraine)
- Based at a European University;
- Either a graduate student or early career scholar (who received their doctoral degree no more than five years ago);
- Researching a topic within the field of Jewish Studies;
- Able to demonstrate the relevance of Hebrew language skills to their research interests.
Applicants for Ulpan Scholarships will have to apply BOTH to the educational institution for the study programme as well as to the World Union of Jewish Studies for the grant. Successful candidates will receive the grant on condition that they are accepted to the Ulpan programme. They will be required to participate in the programme and submit a final report and certificate of completion of the course to the World Union of Jewish Studies.
For the grant application form click here.
Deadline for 2019 summer language programme grants: April 15, 2019
Grant applications must be sent to the World Union of Jewish Studies: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants are responsible to make sure their grant applications reach the World Union of Jewish Studies.
The World Union of Jewish Studies will confirm receipt of your application forms via email no later than 5 working days after they arrive. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please contact us; your application might not have reached us and you may not be considered for the grant.